The Crows claimed an 83-point victory over cross-town rivals Port Adelaide in ‘the Ultimate Showdown’ on this day back in 2005.

In Neil Craig’s first full season as Senior Coach, Adelaide finished the home and away season as minor premiers with 17 wins for the year.

But the Crows needed to rebound after an unexpected loss to fourth-ranked St Kilda in the Qualifying Final, while the Power progressed to the Semi-Final after thrashing North Melbourne in an Elimination Final at Docklands.

The lead up to Showdown XIX was unprecedented. Never had the city of Adelaide been so engrossed by their football loyalties. 

It was the first time the two South Australian teams had met in a finals series. The stage was set on a beautiful Saturday night under lights at AAMI Stadium in front of a packed crowd of more than 50,000 fans.

The game started as a tight and cagey affair, with neither side giving an inch, and both teams unable to apply any real scoreboard pressure.

The momentum of the game then changed dramatically after a huge hit from Port Adelaide's Byron Pickett on Crows ruckman Rhett Biglands in the second term. Biglands was knocked unconscious and taken from the field on a stretcher, with his teammates heading into the half-time break vowing to pay the Power back on the scoreboard for their fallen mate.

What followed in the second-half was a dominant display that saw the Crows assume complete control and bring an abrupt end to Port Adelaide’s season.

The Crows piled on eight goals in the third quarter and another six in the final term to outscore Port Adelaide 14 goals to two after the main break.

Simon Goodwin was instrumental for the Crows with 22 disposals and three goals, whilst Scott Welsh had a dominant game up forward, booting four majors.

Skipper Mark Ricciuto led the way in his trademark fashion, picking up 24 touches and a goal, while Andrew McLeod provided one the highlights of the night with a superb running goal in the third term.

Full-back Ben Rutten also managed to kick a major opposed to Port Adelaide spearhead Warren Tredrea to rub more salt into the Power’s wounds.

It was an impressive performance that will live long in the memories of players and fans alike as the Crows advanced into a Preliminary Final clash with the West Coast Eagles.

Unfortunately, West Coast was simply too strong for the Crows to overcome in Perth the following week and Adelaide fell one game short of a Grand Final berth.

Mark Ricciuto, Neil Craig & Andrew McLeod celebrate victory after the 2005 Semi-Final


September 10, 2005 – Semi-Final

ADELAIDE            3.4   4.7   12.9   18.15 (123)
PORT ADELAIDE   2.1    3.6    4.6    5.10 (40)

GOALS: Welsh 4, Goodwin, Perrie 3, McGregor 2, Edwards, Hentschel, McLeod, Ricciuto, Rutten, Shirley

BEST: Goodwin, Ricciuto, Welsh, McLeod, Bassett, Burton, Edwards

ATTENDANCE: 50,521 at AAMI Stadium