Adelaide midfielder Wayne Milera has thanked the Crows family for its overwhelming support as he recovers from season-ending knee surgery on the weekend.

Speaking for the first time since he ruptured the patella tendon in his left knee in Saturday’s trial game against Port Adelaide, the 23-year-old said he was resting up and would soon shift his focus to rehabilitation.

The injury during the second quarter on the weekend was a cruel blow for the dashing defender-turned-midfielder who only played two games last year due to a foot injury.

He had surgery on Saturday, was released from hospital on Sunday and said the messages of support from teammates, staff, members and fans had meant a lot.

“All the surgery went well so all good on that front... it’s a bit sore but not too bad,” Milera said.

“I’ve just been resting up and icing it, trying to stay off it and I see the surgeon 10 days post op and see where we go from there.

“The support has been unreal, I’ve had a heap of messages from the boys, coaches, even (Chairman) John Olsen rang me up the other day and supporters obviously through my social media."

05:24 Mins
Published on

Wayne Milera injury update

Midfielder Wayne Milera speaks to AFC Media after undergoing knee surgery on the weekend.

Published on

Milera said there wasn’t a lot in the incident that saw him sustain the injury on the weekend but he soon realised it was serious.

“I got a handball receive and went around one player and another tackle came from behind me and I felt the tackle, my leg maybe got stuck but I thought initially I’d either knocked it on the grass or his knee had hit my knee,” he said.

“So I thought I could run it off and it would be fine but as soon as I went to run it was locking up and it was like my leg was giving way.

“Then I looked at it and it swelled up pretty quick. The kneecap was a little bit high, and I couldn’t run. It was a little bit painful but more the shock of when I went to run (and couldn’t).

“Once he (doctor) said what it was, I was across that it was a pretty serious injury because my brother had done it a year and a half ago so I was pretty disappointed obviously after last year and to get through the pre-season and play a practice match, for it to happen then was pretty flattening.

“My body felt really good and I was ready to go, but these things just happen out of nowhere so I’ll just control what I can control and get it right and be back next year.”

On a brighter note, Milera and partner Nina are expecting their first child at the end of the month.

“We’re 37 weeks (pregnant) so pretty much anytime now we’re expecting, it’s going to be pretty flat out but exciting.," he said.

"We can’t wait for him to come along."