The Adelaide Football Club recognises that part of being an elite sporting organisation is a duty to give back to the community. In partnership with the Principal Partner Optus and the Crows Foundation, who both exist to support children in need through health, education, wellbeing and leadership, the AFC has developed STEMfooty.
This program is designed to address the significant growth in STEM-related jobs and the continued decline in student engagement in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
STEMfooty is a collaborative 10 week in schools program for Year 7 students linked to the ACARA curriculum. The program is held on a term basis and the resources and curriculum is supplied by the program for schools to use. There is no cost to participate.
The objective of this program is:
To translate Australian kids' love of AFL into an appreciation, understanding, and passion for the science and mathematics underlying the sport. By demonstrating the natural connection between sport, science, and mathematics, students are encouraged to define and pursue better life choices, including the continuation of their education.
The educational objectives of the program are to:
- Increase student awareness of STEM as a future educational and career path
- Link STEM to a real world and broadly appealing application, thus increasing its relevance and interest to a wide range of children
- Motivate students to excel at school despite real or perceived obstacles
- Provide a measurable opportunity for individual transformation and
- Explore STEM concepts through experiential AND traditional academic approaches.