Adelaide forward Taylor Walker says he has enjoyed watching the “healthy competition” in the Club’s ruck department throughout the pre-season.

Stalwart Reilly O’Brien and second-year Crow Lachlan McAndrew have battled it out against each other in drills and match simulation across the summer.

Speaking to Roo, Ditts and Loz on Triple M Adelaide Breakfast, Walker said it was positive to see both O’Brien and McAndrew push each other to improve.

“I think it’s a real healthy competition at the moment (in the ruck), obviously big Stretch (Lachlan McAndrew) has come in and been learning a lot of Berto (Reilly O’Brien),” Walker said.

“He’s (Berto) been an amazing mentor for Lachie, and right now it's a great battle and they are both having a real crack at that ruck spot.

“Stretch is certainly putting his name up and it’s a really healthy competition at the moment, I reckon we’ll find out a little bit more over the next couple of weeks.

“Keep in mind we’ve got five on the bench this year as well, so whether we go two rucks or a utility in that last spot, we aren’t quite sure what that looks like yet.”

Players across the competition will be forced to adapt in the early parts of the 2026 season, as the League’s rule changes are introduced.

The changes include last disposal out of bounds between the 50m arcs, a stronger enforcement of the stand rule which doesn’t allow players to reverse outside the protected zone, and rucks being unable to cross the white line at centre circle ball-ups.

Walker explained how the group had been adapting to the changes at training. 

“I reckon the new rules will make centre bounce more critically important, as there won’t be as many boundary throw-ins, I don’t know the exact numbers but there would be about 12-15 throw-ins that will be replaced by the last touch,” Walker said. 

“We haven’t changed how we’ll move the ball too much as a result of that last touch rule, but it will be interesting to see whether teams will try to go through the middle more now. 

“I haven’t played last touch before, but a few of the boys that have played in the SANFL have been privy to that rule so we’ve had a bit of extra guidance there. 

“The new stand interpretation we’ve found to be a bit more complex, we’ve had umpires out at training the past few weeks and we’ve probably given three-or-four (50 metre penalties) away each week - so it will probably take a bit longer for everyone around the competition to get used to it.”

Adelaide faces Port Adelaide in match simulation at Alberton Oval on Friday night with the first bounce at 5.30pm.

Gates open at 2.55pm, with a match between the Club’s SANFL and non-selected AFL players to take place from 3pm.

Fans unable to make it to the game can catch all the action on Fox Footy and Kayo.